Welcome to the Small Veggie Patch!

I've grown my own fruit and vegetables since a child and for the past eight years I've been lucky enough to run a half plot allotment. However, my last three years were disastrous at the allotment due to the very strange weather. Cold late Springs, dry Summers and unpredictable precipitation. Last year (2013) I got hold of my spade and decided to turn the 'dumping ground' at the end of my garden into a raised bed veggie patch. Here's what happened... And is happening...

Wednesday 13 April 2016

Easter Holiday 2016 Greenhouse

Last year's tomato harvest was the best ever.  By cutting the bottom out of the grow bags and allowing the plant tap root to reach further into the soil; along with 'earthing up' the stem using a grow ring, really made a difference to the quantity and quantity of the tomatoes.
I'm doing the same this year, but adding three tomato plants to each bag as I noticed a lot of last year's grow bag was root free in between plants... 


The tomatoes are in their places... When they have grown above the collars I will trim off lower leaves and fill with compost/manure.... This will allow more roots to grow from the hairs on the stem... These roots will take up the nutrients from liquid feed later when first fruits set.



No comments:

Post a Comment